Luke specialises in intellectual property disputes in the technology sector, with a particular emphasis on patent litigation. His first degree was in computer science, which assists him with the technical and engineering aspects of the underlying technology.
Luke has advised on a number of first instance actions in the High Court and the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court, as well as appeals to the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court. Many of his cases are multi-jurisdictional disputes, requiring a high degree of co-ordination at both a strategic and a practical level. A number of his cases also involve disputes over standard essential patents and FRAND terms, and he acted in the lead cases brought by Unwired Planet and by Conversant Wireless.
He has also been involved in a wide gamut of interim applications. In particular, he frequently advises on challenges to the jurisdiction of the Courts of England & Wales.
His cases have involved a variety of technical fields, including mobile telephony, computing, consumer electronics, biodiesel production, linear accelerators and networking/communications systems.
Luke is a professional member of the British Computer Society and a member of the Society for Computers & Law. He is also the secretary of the IPEC Users’ Committee.
- Conversant Wireless v Huawei & ZTE – Acting for ZTE in a FRAND dispute pertaining to several declared standard essential patents, including managing a significant jurisdiction challenge relating to issues of justiciability, forum non conveniens and case management (in the Patents Court, the Court of Appeal and ultimately the UK Supreme Court).
- Vestel v HEVC Advance & Philips – Acting for Philips in a FRAND dispute brought by Vestel based on competition law, including managing a jurisdiction challenge relating to the English Court lacking jurisdiction over Philips under the Recast Brussels Regulation.
- BDI-Bioenergy v Argent Energy – Acting for Argent in multiple IPEC entitlement disputes pertaining to patents in the field of biodiesel production.
- Philips Lighting v Megaman – Acting for Philips Lighting [now Signify] in a dispute pertaining to multiple patents in the EnabLED licensing portfolio, including co-ordination with EPO proceedings.
- Unwired Planet v Huawei, Samsung & Google – Acting for Samsung in the first significant global FRAND dispute in the UK with multiple technical trials on declared standard essential patents.
- Varian Medical Systems v Elekta / Elekta v Varian Medical Systems – Acting for Varian in a multi-patent dispute relating to medical linear accelerators, including co-ordination with parallel litigation in multiple jurisdictions.
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science, University of Bristol
- LLB (Hons) Law, The College of Law
- Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law & Practice, Oxford University
- Qualified 2012
- MBCS, Professional Member of the British Computer Society
- Solicitor Advocate
MIP, IP Stars 2021
MIP, IP Stars 2019