Gareth is a partner and head of the Bristows employment team. He joined Bristows in November 2021.
Gareth’s practice covers all aspects of employment law, including Tribunal and High Court litigation. The primary focus of Gareth’s work is on non-contentious employment matters: employment contracts and bonus arrangements; senior executive appointments and terminations; international assignments; complex investigations; reorganisations and redundancies; the people issues arising from outsourcing arrangements and corporate transactions; and international HR projects.
Gareth also specialises in immigration law and leads the Bristows’ global mobility practice. He supports businesses with the movement of their workforce around the world and the recruitment and retention of international talent.
Gareth’s dual employment and immigration expertise gives his practice a natural international focus. He advises clients across a variety of sectors but has particular experience of acting for businesses within the financial services, technology and life sciences sectors. Gareth’s clients include large multi-national companies. However, he also has a real passion for working with innovative, rapid growth companies, helping them to set up, and grow, in new territories.
Gareth’s recent work includes:
- supporting a fintech business on the roll-out of new contracts to senior managers and certified persons prior to the award of its banking licence;
- advising a global technology business on the employment aspects of an acquisition across 15 jurisdictions;
- designing an investigations training course for an international technology business and delivering it across multiple jurisdictions;
- advising a financial institution on the resolution of a sensitive and high-value whistleblowing claim;
- advising a number of clients on workforce planning strategies and the implications of the new immigration system following the end of EU free movement into the UK.
Gareth speaks publicly on a broad range of employment and immigration topics and regularly hosts thought leadership discussions on evolving employment laws and practices. He has considerable experience of designing and delivering bespoke in-house training programmes for clients.
Gareth has spent time in-house at a leading insurance broker and a financial services regulator.
- LLB Law, University of Birmingham
- Qualified 2004
- Partner 2016