Toby is an intellectual property litigator and advisor. His legal expertise covers copyright, database rights, confidential information, contentious aspects of data/data protection, and trade marks and design rights.
He has experience across a wide range of technologies, goods and services. Some illustrative examples of his work include:
- Acting for newspaper publishers in litigation concerning online licensing, internet indexing, caching and browsing.
- Providing legal opinions for foreign litigation concerning direct injection satellite broadcasting.
- Defending an interim injunction application concerning copyright infringement in a data analytics software program.
- Advising a financial institution on copyright infringement relating to computer source code, functionality, logic and data file formats.
- Advising life sciences businesses on mining/scraping and re-utilisation of third party data.
- Advising a luxury goods manufacturer on the exhaustion of intellectual property rights in relation to modified goods.
- Advising technology-enabled businesses in high-profile data breach investigations by the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Toby has also spent time working in-house both with a multinational retailer and as the acting head of litigation for a television network, during which he gained invaluable insights to some of the operational challenges faced by clients and the need for cost-effective, commercial advice.
Toby sits on LexisPSL’s IP Consulting Editorial Board, the IP Federation’s Data and Copyright Committee, and is a member of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI), the British Literary & Artistic Copyright Association, the Society for Computers & Law, and the Competition Law Association.
- BCL, University of Oxford
- LL.M, Columbia University (Fulbright Scholar)
- PG Dip (LPC), The College of Law
- Qualified 2002
What others say
“Senior associate Toby Headdon counsels on commercial and contentious digital copyright matters. He is also recommended for domain name recovery actions before Nominet and the World Intellectual Property Organization.”Chambers and Partners 2017
“immensely hardworking and imaginative.”Legal 500 2016
“Toby Headdon is considered "very impressive" by sources and has already made a mark in closely followed cases such as the Meltwater case. He has published extensively on copyright law and is seen as an emerging leader in the field.”Chambers and Partners 2016
Chambers and Partners 2017
Acritas Star Lawyer