John joined Bristows as an associate in April 2022 and is part of the patent litigation team. Since qualifying in 2016, John has practised exclusively in intellectual property matters, with the majority of his experience in patent litigation and dispute resolution for a range of clients and technologies. John’s litigation experience also covers the gamut of IP rights, and has previously acted in trade mark, copyright and registered design litigation.
Prior to joining Bristows, John spent several years at a top tier international firm in Australia in its market-leading IP practice. John’s experience there included acting for:
- A multinational biopharmaceutical company in patent infringement proceedings relating to its blockbuster HIV treatment.
- A major solar cell manufacturer in patent litigation to enforce its solar cell technology against various solar panel manufacturers and importers.
- A major producer of pharmaceuticals in patent infringement and invalidity proceedings relating to its treatment for insomnia.
- An athletic apparel manufacturer in patent litigation proceedings in relation to its line of compression garments.
- A major commercial television network in trade mark litigation against a high profile international retail chain.
- Juris Doctor, University of Melbourne
- Bachelor of Accounting, University of South Australia
- Qualified 2016 (Supreme Court of Victoria and High Court of Australia)