Our lawyers are known for their broad range of experience in communications-related deals and disputes and their understanding of the technical issues involved.
This work ranges from advising on the licensing of the technologies that underpin wireless and fixed line communications through to interpreting the regulatory regime that governs the provision and use of communications networks. We also advise on the procurement of fixed line and wireless networks and work with clients engaged in communications outsourcing. This can involve acting for organisations outsourcing their communications needs (such as LAN, WAN and voice networks or call centre operations) and assisting network operators outsource the maintenance – or even operation – of their core networks.
Our communications practice includes leading experts on the disputes that have characterised the mobile technology market over the last ten years and on the application of “FRAND” rules for licensing that technology.
- A leading stakeholder on a range of issues arising from the UK’s digital switch over programme. This included working on the contractual arrangements for the upgrade of the UK’s digital terrestrial television infrastructure
- A handset manufacturer on the licensing requirements for essential technology used in its phones and the commercial implications of going to market whilst still in negotiation with the purported patent owners
- A digital broadcasting platform on all aspects of its digital content and licensing strategy
- Telecoms outsourcings by a range of UK and multinational corporate users covering voice, WAN, LAN and mobile across dozens of countries and tens of thousands of users
- A telecoms services reseller on corporate and regulatory issues related to its establishment in the UK
- A financial services firm on the procurement of a new communications system. In addition to advising on the implementation of cutting edge technology we helped to ensure that such the project would allow the firm to continue to operate in full compliance with FSA guidance (e.g. around recording investor calls and more generally in relation to “material” outsourcing transactions)
- A leading global mobile network operator on its potential involvement in a joint venture related to the roll out of an "m-commerce" platform
- A consortium of some of the world’s largest electronics and telecoms companies on the reorganisation and reconstitution of a global patent pool in respect of patents that cover 3G mobile telephone handsets
- A European headquartered mobile business with operations across Europe and Asia on its digital content strategy and related IP and commercial legal risks