Fiona joined Bristows as a partner in 2009. She is an IP transactional lawyer with many years experience in working with a large range of clients across a number of sectors including life sciences, IT, software, engineering, consumer products and academia. In addition to advising blue chip companies and public bodies, Fiona advises growing SMEs, assisting them to enter new markets through licensing and other collaborative ventures.
Fiona chairs the Law Society of Scotland's accreditation panel for IP and is a Board Member and President-Elect of the Licensing Executives Society International. She is a member of the BIA's Cell & Gene Therapy Advisory Committee. Fiona is a past Chair of the IP section of Lex Mundi and past President of the Licensing Executives Society (Britain and Ireland). Fiona is a founder and honorary Vice President of St. Andrews Clinics for Children.
Fiona was included in The Best Lawyers in UK 2017 in the fields of IT Law and IP Law.
- MA English and Sociology, University of Glasgow
- LLB, University of Glasgow
- Qualified 1986
- Partner 1991
- Best Lawyers™ in the United Kingdom for Intellectual Property Law and Information Technology Law (2019/2018/2017/2016/2015)
- IP Transactions, Patent Strategy & Counseling - Managing Intellectual Property, IP Stars (2019/2018/2017/2016)
- Transactions - IAM Patent 1000 (2018/2017/2016/2015)
- Life Sciences: Transactional - Who’s Who Legal (2018/2017)
- WIPR Leaders (2018)
- Commercial contracts - Legal 500 (2017/2016)
- Intellectual property - Legal 500 (2017)
- Financial & Transactional/ Corporate & Commercial, M&A and Venture Capital - LMG Life Sciences Europe (2015)
"The enterprising Fiona Nicolson relishes the challenge of taking a start-up to big places through collaborative ventures." - IAM Patent 1000 2018
"All-round transactional ace Fiona Nicolson has ample experience in helping growing companies to hit the ground running in new markets." - IAM Patent 1000 2017
"’The consistent helpful, prompt and business-like’ Fiona Nicolson has a client catalogue featuring an array of blue-chip entities, public bodies and start-up tech companies; she specialises in licensing and collaborative ventures’." - IAM Patent 1000 2016
"Fiona Nicholson is something of a guru for early-stage technology companies seeking to gain a foothold in the market." - IAM Patent 1000 2015