Our clients include financial services businesses, emerging FinTech businesses and users of financial services based in the UK, the rest of the EU, numerous offshore financial centres and emerging markets.
We help our financial services clients by drawing on the expertise of Bristows' teams in areas such as corporate, tax, data protection, IT, digital transformation, outsourcing and procurement, IP and copyright. This enables us to offer a service that combines our financial services sector and regulatory expertise with deal-specific experience. A real differentiator of our service is our market leading knowledge (both legal and commercial) of the TMT and life sciences sectors.
We also have extensive experience in commercial dispute resolution in the financial services industry, including constructive trusts and tracing issues, syndicated loan disputes and actions relating to exchange-listed debt instruments, securities and commodities.
Recently we have advised:
- A Ukranian bank on an application for worldwide asset freezing order in support of overseas court proceedings
- Various financial services businesses on corporate matters, including restructurings, M&A and joint ventures
- The delivery of innovative “Robotic Process Automation” services to a high street bank
- Working with numerous start-up and “scale-up” FinTech and InsureTech businesses on their contractual an regulatory requirements and on securing investment
- A German bank in Commercial Court proceedings on a contract dispute concerning commercial asset financing of around €200 million
- A global health insurance provider on a series of transactions linked to its digital transformation. Our role included advising on the financial services and privacy regulatory impact as well as the underlying deals
- A financial instruments broking company in a claim relating to the failure to deliver up and sell on a US$ 50 million Eurobond Medium Term Note issued by a major bank listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange
- A multinational insurance company in connection with a series of IT outsourcing deals covering infrastructure, hosting and application maintenance. Key to our role was ensuring that the new contracts allowed our client to ensure regulatory compliance with FCA, PRA and German (BaFin) requirements arising from MiFID and the Solvency II rules
- A number of VC and private equity funds on their investments in TMT and life sciences businesses
- A global payment services provider on its regulatory and commercial arrangements, including the provision of “white labelled” payment and anti-fraud services to banks in the Nordic, Central European and Asia-Pacific regions
- Working with a leading stock exchange on its technology and commercial contracts