Bristows’ Real Estate finance practice has experience of the full lifespan of the lending process, from setting up new funds and SPVs, to negotiating loan facilities and security documents, and advising on enforcement action against defaulting borrowers.
Our team has recent experience of working in financial institutions, with Suzanne Hooks having spent two separate periods in house in European “bad banks” working out their loan books. She co-ordinated the due diligence review of one of the institutions’ development loan portfolio over a number of jurisdictions. Both experiences have given her an excellent insight into the life-cycle of the lending process.
Our commercial real estate finance experience inludes:
- Institutional lenders providing debt finance to borrowers acquiring investment properties
- UK and offshore borrowers refinancing existing portfolios
- Defaulting borrowers negotiating standstill arrangements
- Alternative lenders providing junior and mezzanine debt finance
Recent experience includes:
- Acting for a Royal Charter Body securing finance from an institutional lender to fund the development and retention of its trophy London headquarters
- Acting for Santander UK plc in connection with the acquisition and refinance of real estate assets with a combined value in excess of £100m
- Acting for a UK pension fund providing mezzanine development finance to complete a mixed use commercial/ residential development in Cambridge
- Advising a UK based borrower on standstill arrangements in respect of an expired loan facility, and acting on the subsequent refinancing of its property portfolio
- Acting for an offshore fund acquiring garden centres in the UK and obtaining senior debt from a UK lender
- Acting for an overseas venture capital fund in respect of its funding of the development of a green fuels manufacturing and distribution network, and the associated security taken over the land and development agreements
- Acting for an offshore limited partnership securing finance from a UK bank to fund the development of a retail site, and subsequently dealing with the switch to an investment loan