Our tax experts enable clients from multi-nationals to start-ups to minimise tax exposure and do business while complying with the UK's maze-like tax system.
We offer advice on the full range of tax issues affecting corporates, including VAT, stamp duties and other specialist areas. Core areas of expertise include helping clients, both UK based and overseas to structure corporate and commercial transactions such as share sales and joint ventures, financings, licensing deals, real estate transactions and investment funds in a tax-efficient way. We also advise on HMRC enquiries and disputes.
Bristows’ tax team is fully integrated with the firm’s core practices and sectors. We advise on strategies for businesses whose underpinning value lies in their technology or IP rights as well as the tax rules relating to charities and not-for-profit bodies, employment packages and share schemes.
We also have significant experience advising international clients, particularly in the U.S. and continental Europe, on cross-border issues.
Our recent experience includes:
- Advising world leading advertising group WPP on a significant number of acquisitions in the UK, US and Europe
- Advising Ixico Limited and its selling shareholders on the reverse takeover of main market listed company Phytopharm plc and continuing to act for the newly named Ixico plc
- Advising the Electrical Safety Council on the merger of the business of its subsidiary, Ascertiva Limited, with the business of the Electrical Contractors’ Association through the formation of a new LLP
- Advising the Institution of Mechanical Engineers on tax issues arising from its investment strategy
- Advising Swedish biotech company, Albireo, a spin-out from Astra Zeneca, on corporate tax planning and structural issues arising from its financing by a syndicate of global healthcare investors led by Phase 4 Partners and returning value to investors
- Advising Pearl Diver Capital LLP, a boutique asset manager, on a series of offshore investment funds focused on the securitised debt markets
- Advising medical diagnostics specialists, Abingdon Health, on a joint venture and spin-out transaction with Birmingham University which created Bioscience Ventures Limited, and its subsequent “buy and build” strategy
- Advising a Jersey-based third party litigation fund on its set up, structure and £20-£25m listing on the Channel Islands Stock Exchange
- Representing a UK on-line consumer products business in a claim against HMRC for the alleged incorrect VAT treatment of its supplies