Recording: Trade Mark Review of the Year 2022
Recording: Designs & Copyright Review of the Year 2022
To mark the release of our annual Trade Marks, Designs & Copyright Review of the Year publications, we hosted an in-person seminar on Tuesday 14 March 2023.
Our expert lawyers looked back at some of the most influential IP rights cases of 2022 and discussed some of the recent developments in trade marks, domain names, passing off, designs, copyright and database rights.
The topics and cases discussed included:
- copyright in fictional characters following the Only Fools case;
- an update on the diverging approaches to copyright subsistence under UK and EU law following the WaterRower case;
- the UK’s proposed text and data mining exception, and its potential effect on AI;
- the outcomes of this year’s bad faith claims, including the further developments in SkyKick
- an overview of a number of cases involving the acquiescence defence and in what circumstances this could be successful.