Our peopleA B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
Liz specialises in intellectual property matters with a particular focus on patent litigation. She has over 13 years experience of representing clients in patent matters in the English Courts and has also represented clients in the UKIPO and EPO. Liz is often asked to co-ordinate cross border litigation and to advise within Europe and beyond for clients situated inside and outside the UK. As a qualified solicitor advocate, Liz has appeared before the High Court and in her first appearance successfully secured an interim injunction on behalf of Servier pending trial for its ACE inhibitor product, perindopril.
Liz's background in Natural Sciences (Neuroscience) provides her with an excellent understanding of the technical and commercial issues facing the life sciences sector in particular. Liz’s work is regularly published in industry journals and she is also a member of EPLAW, EPLIT and LES and sits on the CIPA Life Sciences Committee.
Liz regularly advises clients on the development of the Unitary Patent and the Unified Patent Court and is a regular speaker at conferences on this topic and other issues that are of current interest to the pharmaceutical industry.
- MA Natural Sciences, University of Cambridge
- Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice, University of Bristol
- Solicitor Advocate
- Qualified 2001
- Partner 2008
- Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology - The Legal 500 (2014)
- Patents - Who’s Who Legal (2014)
- Patent Litigation - IAM Patent 1000 (2014)
- Patent Litigation - Who’s Who Legal (2014)
- IP Law - Super Lawyers UK (2014/2013)
- Patent Litigation (Leading Lawyer) - IAM 1000 (2013)
- Patents and Life Sciences - IP - Who's Who Legal (2013)
- Patent (Leading Practitioner) - Guide to the World's Leading Women in Business Law (2013)
- Intellectual Property (Key Individual) - Chambers and Partners (2013/2012)
"Liz Cohen has handled important matters all the way up to the Supreme Court." - IAM 1000 2014
"Liz Cohen’s innovative life sciences work has won her many followers." - IAM 1000 2013
"Liz Cohen is a qualified solicitor advocate who has impressed with her record in patent litigation. Her main focus resides in disputes between major biotech, pharmaceutical and medical devices concerns." - Chambers and Partners 2013
“Liz Cohen is building an excellent reputation for her focus on contentious concerns, especially in relation to matters arising in a healthcare context. She continues to advise Smith & Nephew in patent proceedings.” - Chambers and Partners 2012