AI & Robotics
Artificial intelligence has a lot to offer nearly every sector. To help our clients harness the promise of AI, we offer experienced legal insight backed by an usually deep understanding of the science that underpins these ground-breaking tools. Software engineering, data science? Definitely our thing.
Many of our clients – from large tech and pharma companies to new market entrants – are either already using software and services powered by machine learning and other artificial intelligence techniques or are planning to in the near future. We help them progress their projects to develop, procure, implement and/or use AI.
Our corporate and commercial work includes intellectual property and data protection advice in relation to training datasets, drafting bespoke contracts for the licensing (in and out) of machine learning models and their outputs, as well as strategic advice on how to structure AI-focussed collaborations and partnerships. In the digital health space we have a particular focus on the legal aspects of how to develop and deploy AI tools effectively when using medical and patient data.
Here are just a few examples of our work:
- Advising a life sciences technology company specialising in data analytics on a strategic alliance with a hardware manufacturer to develop machine learning-enabled solutions for diabetes-related eye disease
- Advising a technology company on various aspects of a partnership with a leading university and a genetic biodata company. The project involved the application of machine learning technology to patient data in order to train algorithms to identify patients with high risk diseases.
- Creating SaaS contract templates for a top tier technology consultancy for a new machine learning products and services which are trained on their client’s datasets
We love data. We seriously love it. Data affects every one of our clients and we’ve made it our job to provide them with expert-informed advice on a huge range of data issues. Our recommendations are always rooted in pragmatism and what will actually work for their business.
Our clients share common concerns and face similar challenges when it comes to data and complying with their legal obligations. Changes in legislation, evolving enforcement regimes and the ever-present threat of potential cyber breaches can make the management of data a tricky business.
Fortunately this is our business.
With one of the biggest and most well-known teams in Europe, Bristows is the go-to firm for data. We offer unrivalled expertise as demonstrated by the breadth of our experience, including:
- Developing practical and proportionate compliance programmes for organisations, large and small with considerable expertise in building GDPR programmes.
- Helping companies ensure that specific technology-based products and services meet legal requirements at all stages of development. We have an impressive understanding of how technology works at a data level and are regularly asked to advise on issues such as AI and machine learning, adtech, facial recognition, digital health, app development and cloud computing.
- Advising on international data transfers and ensuring internal and external data flows are lawful.
- Helping clients understand data subjects’ rights and how to comply effectively and efficiently to requests.
- Helping when things go wrong - assisting with the immediate response and containment of a security incident, notifying authorities and any follow-on litigation.
- Advising on ongoing risk management, including embedding incident reporting and breach management within an organisation’s wider compliance processes.
Increasingly, our clients are also looking for ways to unlock the value of data. We help them navigate the issues and challenges that arise - such as access, sharing, usability, interoperability, and security – and develop strategies that are effective, responsible and compliant.
Our collaborative approach includes lawyers from our intellectual property, IT, commercial, competition, regulatory and litigation teams.
We do what we love. For many of us that’s technology, whether experimenting with a VR headset, building our own Bluetooth headphones or gaming in the evening. Our techy zeal combined with top tier legal expertise means we are the first-choice for players across the interactive entertainment sector.
We have been at the forefront of developments all things technology ever since we started and the ever-evolving world of interactive entertainment has been part of that rich history.
We specialise in intellectual property, data, media and digital technology, amongst other things, and our clients include everyone from small indie developers to multi-national publishers of ‘traditional’ games, as well as esports organisations, communications platforms and newer non-traditional companies exploring the limits of virtual reality, augmented reality and mobile gaming.
What we should also probably tell you:
- Our data protection team provides guidance on compliance with the GDPR including issues pertinent to the sector such as children’s consent, privacy policies and data transfers. We also have significant expertise in gambling law, which is becoming more relevant to the sector.
- We assist with both brand protection and technology disputes. Our Brands, Designs and Copyright team manages our clients’ trade mark portfolio, copyright and design protection, and enforcement of online infringements. Our Commercial and Technology Disputes team advises regularly on licensing and sponsorship contract disputes and copyright infringements relating to software development, and has acted in leading cases concerning the provision of infringing cheat and bot technology.
- Our Competition team frequently advises on the kinds of competition law issues that can arise in the distribution and licensing agreements used across the sector, and is experienced in dealing with UK and EU regulators, whether acting for platforms or publishers.
- We have one of the largest teams of technology specialists around, but remain of a size and culture that encourages co-operation and interdisciplinary working. Not only do our clients have access to the best expertise for any particular matter, but we can assemble in a heartbeat a diverse team with the necessary mix of expertise for any project.