The kind of person we're looking for:
- Someone who is clever and enjoys engaging their brain
- Someone who takes responsibility and thinks for themselves
- Someone who wants to join in - who will work well as part of a team and will contribute to the firm as a whole
- Someone that understands that a law firm is a people-based business and has good communications skills
- Someone who is passionate about a career in the law
- Someone who wants to succeed but not at the expense of their colleagues
At fairs and presentations:
Spend some time, however brief,
look in the fair guide!
Prepare a few questions to ask to all law firms
this can make your comparison much easier.
On our application form:
- Fill in your application form carefully - we do care about typos, poor grammar and punctuation
- Tailor your application form to us - your application should demonstrate why you have chosen to apply to Bristows rather than looking like one of 50 applications you have submitted to any city law firm
- Let your form give a flavour of you as a person - you don't need to go over the top trying to sell yourself
- Get your form in on time - we can tell when an application form has been rushed and submitted at the last time, so give yourself the best chance and prepare your application form early
At video interview:
- Be professional – you may be interviewing from home or university but you should still dress the part and present yourself as if interviewing in person.
- Try to use a plain/neutral background – you don’t want the reviewer to be distracted by the television or wall of posters behind you.
- Find somewhere quiet where you will not be interrupted during your recording – each response has a time limit so you should be free from distraction to make the most of that time.
- Make use of your practice time – the video interview system offers unlimited practice time before you record your answers so take advantage of the opportunity as this can help calm your nerves.
- Try to engage with the camera rather than the screen – it may be difficult to ignore yourself but Launchpad has a handy blurring tool that may help you with this.
Be on time for your interview
if this is your first time making the journey to the office, set off early so you can locate us ahead of time
Then use your spare time for last-minute prep in a nearby coffee shop. You can even grab a coffee in the atrium of our building.
If something unexpected goes wrong with your journey
we will understand,
but please do try to contact us so we can let your interviewers know
Look the part - smart and professional