Bristows is known for its work in both contentious and commercial copyright matters.
We work closely with clients across a range of creative industry sectors such as music, television, film, publishing, new media and consumer products. The clients we help to protect and enhance the value of their copyright assets include leading independent music publishing houses, publishers of high-end fashion magazines, one of the UK's largest cinema chains, a newspaper group, a global internet search engine, broadcasters, popular TV program producers and the largest global music industry association.
In our recent contentious copyright work we have advised or represented:
- Two music publishers in copyright infringement claims in the High Court and several other jurisdictions regarding the print and publishing rights of thousands of compositions owned by the major record labels
- A magazine publisher on copyright infringement issues relating to editorial and image content
- A cinema chain in relation to a sound recording "synchronisation" copyright infringement claim affecting over 800 movie screens by the licensees of a well-known musical soundtrack
- A leading Internet search engine in relation to High Court proceedings concerning the source code copyright of peer-to-peer telephony technology
- A leading global business to business software owner and supplier in High Court source code copyright infringement proceedings